Saturday, August 4, 2007

SUTHERLAND (Davie) in Brora, Clyne

I’m still trying to find my Sutherland (Davie) forbears. I have managed to trace them back to John Sutherland b 1803, died before 1841. He was born in Brora, Clyne, and was a fisherman. His parents were Donald Sutherland and Anne Grant, I have no birth dates or marriage dates for them. I find myself unable to get back any further.

The history of the family is that of fisher folk from Brora with some marriages with the fisher folk from Golspie. The fishing communities were a very close knit and as a rule did not intermingle with non fisher folk. My folk abandoned the sea in the early years of 20th century. The younger family members emigrating to Canada . Only Morag remains in Brora to help with my quest.
Vancouver . BC

No comments: