Sunday, August 5, 2007

KERR in Assynt & MACKAY in Farr

My main interests in Sutherland are Kerrs in Assynt - one of the sons of Cathel Kerr and Anne McLeod married one of my 3rd 2X removed cousin Margaret Begg. They had their own family in Olrig in Caithness. 2 of three sons died in WWI. They were both married but I have no idea if they had children.
Cathel's parents were John and Annabella Kerr. Anne's parents were William McLeod and Isabella Mckenzie.I am also interested in Mackays in Portskerry. George Mackay c 1816-1887 and his wife Elizabeth Mackay 1820-1892 had 8 children that I am aware of Hetty, Angusina, William, Barbara, Hughina, Colin, Georgina and Hugh. Barbara and Hughina (married a great granduncle William Matheson) emigrated to the USA in the 1880's. Would love to know what happened to Hetty, William and Georgina (found on 1891 census)?
George's parents were Angus and Catherine Mackay, Elizabeth's parents were William Mackay and Janet McDonald. Most of my ancestors in Scotland were from Caithness rather than Sutherland and I do have Swedish and Norwegian relatives to research as well which is mostly what I have been working on this summer as I have a subscription to Genline which expires at the end of August lol.
Alberta, Canada