Saturday, August 4, 2007

MACKAY, MURRAY, BRUCE, GRAY, GILLANDER, Dornoch, Rogart, Clyne

I was born in Helmsdale, Kildonan, Sutherland and my father was born in Golspie. All my Sutherland researches are finding his ancestors (and mine of course).

Researching:
1) McKAYS of the Doll Clyne, descended from John Mackay and Janet Murray of Loth probably Lothmore.
2) MACKAYS of Inchcape and Muie Rogart - interested in all Inchcape families.
3) MURRAYS of Achnagarrin, Rogart and Fleuchary, Dornoch
4) BRUCES descended from Alexander Bruce/Mary Ann or Marion Ross of Rogart/Dornoch parishes
5) GRAYS of Skibo and Evelix Dornoch - in fact researching all GRAY families in Sutherland.
6) GILLANDERS - Donald Gillanders and Margaret (Peggy) Campbell originally fron Contin, Ross and Cromarty, but recorded in several censuses in Sutherland where Donald was a shepherd. Believed to have emigrated with their large family post 1881 perhaps to Canada - my main BRICK WALL - found one son in Canada but did they all go there? Their eldest daughter Ann Gillanders who was my great grandmother is the only one of the family who remained in Scotland. She married Alexander Mackay of the Doll, Brora

A pilot officer W. Gillanders visited one of my great aunts in 1943 - can anyone in Canada tell me if it is possible to access WW2 records?

Presently researching all Mackay/McKay families in Sutherland - I must be mad!!!
Edinburgh

No comments: