Friday, August 3, 2007

WHYTE in Eddrachillis & Durness

I am married with 2 grown up children. I was born in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and came to live in Australia and New Zealand in 1968. I am researching my fathers side of the family from Sutherland.

My Dad (Jesse Angus WHYTE) was born in Scourie, Sutherland in 1902 but ended up moving to Rhodesia during World War 2. He was in the RAF. He was the the 2nd son of Peter WHYTE and Catherine MacKENZIE; Peter was the 5th child of John WHYTE and Christy McKAY; John was the 8th child of George WHYTE and Caroline CAMPBELL; George was the 1st child of John WHYTE and Ann FRASER; John WHYTE (or White)'s father was William WHYTE and his father was Thomas WHYTE.

I am also researching MACKENZIE Scourie & Scouriemore; MORRISON Foindle and Eddrachillis; MACKAY Durness; CAMPBELL Durness; FRASER Golspie and Eddrachillis; MACLEOD Scourie and Lochbroom.

I found a long lost cousin in Canada (Jean Hammond) through this website and a whole branch of the tree that emigrated to Canada in the 1800's. Also found another two long lost cousin's (Caroline and Kate) through another site. We are all able to help each other, and that is fantastic. I have still got a lot of gaps in my family tree and hope to be able to fill some more of them one day.

Carol Nortje (nee Whyte)
SE Queensland, Australia