Saturday, August 4, 2007

MACLEOD in Eddrachillis, Handa Island & MACRAE in Assynt

Macleod in Eddrachillis
All my people on my mother's side of the family came from Oldshore in the Kinlochbervie area.I was born in Kinlochbervie and went to school for the first four years at Oldshoremore School. I have lots of details on the people from this area that I am willing to share with anyone.
The Macleod's in my family originally came from Handa Island, Eddrachilles and in the 1841 census of Handa the household had the following people in it: George MacLeod, 60 years (my G/G/G/Grandfather), Ann Macleod, 55 years, (she was born in Ireland), John MacLeod, 25 years, Margaret MacLeod, 25 years, Robert MacLeod, 20 years, (My G/G/Grandfather). Robert Macleod must have left Handa prior to 1846 as he married a Mary MacKay at Kinlochbervie and their first child was born in 1847.
Handa Island had 12 families in the 1841 census and due to the potato famine they asked to be taken off the island. Most of the families went to Canada on the "Ellen" that left Loch Laxford on 22 May 1848. On the passenger list of the "Ellen" there was a family of George MacLeod, Nancy Macleod and Margaret Macleod. I am not sure if this is my people or not. I cannot find them in Scotland after 1841 and it may be that Nancy was written down in the ships's records instead of Ann. (I cannot recall seeing any other Nancy's in those days).
If anyone else has connections with Handa I would be delighted to hear from them.
Macrae in Assynt
My G/G/Grandmother was a Janet Macrae, born 1823 at Assynt, daughter of John Macrae and Isabella Macrae or Macrae. Janet was married to a Hugh MacPherson from Ardmore and she died on 6th September 1899 at Ardmore. In the 1851 census, Janet is shown living with an Alexander and Chirsty Sinclair (both born in Assynt) at Ardmore. She was their niece. A Duncan Macrae 19 years, a nephew of the Sinclairs, was also living at Ardmore in the same house. I know that there were another family of Macrae in Ardmore at the same time but I am not sure what the relationship was between Janet and them. Would love to find out.
Thanks
Bonar Bridge, Sutherland

No comments: